Saturday, July 27, 2013

Making it Mine


Moving to a new room was not my idea of kicking off my summer vacation, but it is what I had to do. I said this before...it was a mess, and I really meant it!! I was waiting for my new room to get painted, so I had to just pile my things in the middle of the floor when school ended in May.


This is how I left it on the last day.  


Now it's the middle of July, and I was finally able to start putting things away and making my room MY room.  I finally decided this was the year I was going to rid my room of the colors that make me go nuts.  It's not that I dislike the colors by themselves or in other people's rooms; it is just in my room...I go crazy looking at all the primary colors mixed together all day long.


It took me several days just to sort through the piles and move the big stuff to where it needed to be. 


I got all the "stuff" put away finally and began to decorate a few bulletin boards. 


I absolutely LOVE the black and white polka dot rug from IKEA. It's hard to beat a rug that is only $20 and so darn cute!!
I think I'm going to go back and get a second rug to make this my meeting spot.  I still need to organize and label my library baskets and add ribbon to them. 


My wonderful and very patient husband came and taped off my new word wall area. I tried to do it myself, but I am not crafty nor patient with any type of crafty project. Thankfully he is!! I LOVE the way it turned out!! The whiteboard is magnetic, so I plan to use magnetic tape on the back of the words as I teach them. 


This is the view if you are looking in my room from the door. The red shelves right in front are cubby boxes. My teacher table/guided reading area is in the back next to the class library and meeting area. 


The view once again from the door but showing the front of the room. I have a storage cabinet, Smartboard, reading chairs for the Read to Self center, centers bookshelf, and student work tables in this area. 


Now I'm standing at the back computer looking at the front. 

This room is setup differently, even though all of our rooms are pretty close to being the same size. 

I almost have it all put away. I just have a small pile of containers and odds and ends, but thankfully I'm so close to being finished!

I have to go through things and organize my "stations" better. I still have May centers in center boxes that need to be changed to Back to School centers. 

I'm staying home next week to get things done around here before school starts in 3 weeks. 

I've been working on a few projects from home too. I painted my ugly blue bookshelf and table cherry red. I also painted my big brown rocking chair glossy black. 

I'm getting closer to being finished, and I'm so glad!


1 comment:

  1. Your room looks FANTASTIC! I don't get into my classroom until next week. I'm so excited!

    ReplyDelete